A long, slightly curved street, Agar Grove runs east-west, bounding the Conservation Area from Stratford Villas in the south-west to the busy York Way junction in the east. It also marks the divide between the neighbourhood of Camden Square and the area to the south; the Maiden Lane Estate and the vast railway lands stretching towards the main termini. The Agar Grove railway bridge offers impressive views south of these railway lands and the skyline beyond.
Formerly known as St Paul's Road, it was renamed Agar Grove in the early 20th century, after William Agar an irascible lawyer who lived in the vicinity. He opposed Regent's Canal going through his land, and was the ground landlord of the land upon which the notorious Agar Town was built on the 1840s (a squalid settlement built between the Camden Square district and Somers Town, but swept away for the construction of the Midland Railway).
The earliest surviving development dates from the 1840s, and consists of three storey semi-detached villas raised on basements situated on the north side between Stratford Villas and Murray Street"(backing-onto Cobham Mews).
Although there was limited building in Agar Grove in the 1840s, the majority of houses date from the 1860s . 19th century residential development in Agar Grove is repetitive in nature, particularly east of the railway bridge. Here, the semi-detached villas date from the 1860s. They are of a similar scale and design to houses in St Augustine's Road and Cantelowes Road, and thus form an integral part of the Camden Square neighbourhood. Both sides of the street have strong building lines and houses of identical design. Their treatment is derived from classical architecture, especially in terms of proportions and decoration.
Notable Past Residents
- Cornelius Cardew, (1936 - 1981), Composer. Lived in Agar Grove in the 1970s
- LB of Camden; Camden Square Conservation Area Statement, 2001