St Augustine's Road
St Augustine's Road is a comparatively wide street, with trees planted at intervals in the pavement, and benefits from vistas towards Camden Park Road in the north-east, and long views towards the railway lands in the south and south-west.
The architectural quality is relatively high .. The style is simpler and more modest than in Camden Square, but the original layout is more complete and as a resUlt the tall houses are of group value.
South-west of Cantelowes Road, the north-west side of the street, completed by 1868 has three-storey pairs of semi-detached villas, mostly with stuccoed fronts and some dormer windows, and accessed up flights of steps. At the south-west end the street relates to the Camden Square developments with five pairs of pedimented, entirely stuccoed houses, the most south-westerly pair having been demolished: No. 1 in the 1860s due to the coming of the railway and No. 3 after the 1898 widening of the cutting. Today the site contains garages. Closer to Cantelowes Road, are grander three-storey semi-detached houses, which have painted stucco fronts with banding at basement level and quoin detailing on the corners. (There are some unconventional paint colours chemes, such as yellow or green-painted stucco; however, most stucco work has been painted white.) The front facades are broken up by a dentil cornice at second-floor cill level. There are projecting stuccoed entrance porches accessed up flights of steps, moulded stucco window surrounds and black-painted cast-iron screens on the bracketed window cills.
Opposite on the south-east side, the street; commences with two pairs of smaller semi-detached villas, of two storeys upon basements with parapeted fronts of plain brick and projecting stucco porches. The taller three-storey semi-detached villas occupying most of the remainder of the south-east side have hipped slated roofs, exposed bracketed eaves and prominent central chimney stacks. Completed by 1868, they are of a similar type to the Agar Grove and Ceantelowes Road houses, but have stuccoed upper and lower ground floors and are adorned with stucco pediments over the upper ground-floor windows. These houses have three-storey rear bay windows at the rear spanning basement to first-floor levels. They are a distinctive feature visible from side streets such as Cantelowes Road. The taller three-storey terrace of seven houses on the corner of Marquis Road on the corner of Marquis Road was developed by the 1890s.
Notable Past Residents
- Theodor Fontane (German novelist) lived at no. 6 St Augustine’s Road between 1857 and 1858.
- Oliver Heaviside (1850-1925), the physicist, lived at No 3 St Augustine's Road in the late 19th century.
- John Skinner Prout, artist, lived at 38 St Augustine's Road between 1856 and 1858.
- LB of Camden; Camden Square Conservation Area Statement, 2001