St Paul's Crescent
St Paul's Crescent is another reasonably complete and intact street of mid-Victorian houses, completed by 1868, and stretching from Maiden Lane Estate in the south to Marquis Road in the north-east. It is divided into three sections: The northernmost between Marquis Road and Cantelowes Road; the middle between Cantelowes Road and Agar Grove; the southernmost between Agar Grove and Maiden Lane
In the 1870s, the southern portion of St Paul's Crescent was called St Paul's Terrace, the mid portion St Paul's Crescent and the northern portion 'Upper St Paul's Crescent'. By the 1890s, the whole street was known as St Paul's Crescent.
The west side of the middle portion of the street was originally developed as a shallow crescent of three-storey terraced houses, commenced in the 18505. Built of London stock brick, without basements, the fronts are parapeted and there are stuccoed bay windows at ground-floor level. Stucco decoration consists of a moulded cornice at parapet level. There is a moulded stucco parapet cornice, which steps down in line with the slope of the street. Extensive World War II damage led to the demolition of the southern portion ofthe crescent. However, the continuity of layout in this part of the street was destroyed by extensive World War II damage. On the east side of the street, the same 19thcentury house type has been employed. At the Cantelowes Road end of the terrace (No. 5) there is one 20th century rebuild, dating from the 1970s.
Notable Past Residents
- Margaret Campbell (Interview): An audio recording of Margaret Campbell, born in 1931, lived in St Paul's Crescent and remembers the local Italian families that she knew growing up here. She also talks about the area just after the war, including the Caledonian cattle market and heating the home with coal fires.
- LB of Camden; Camden Square Conservation Area Statement, 2001